CarboMet : Metrology of Carbohydrates for Enabling European BioIndustries
Metrology of Carbohydrates for Enabling European BioIndustries - A Coordination & Support Action (CSA) funded by Horizon 2020 FET-OPEN (GA no. 737395).
Carbohydrates constitute the largest source of biomass on Earth and their exploitation will be crucial if we are to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and create a Circular Economy. However, to understand and ultimately exploit carbohydrates, a carbohydrate metrology and measurements ‘toolbox’ is essential for new research and innovation practices in glycoscience.
CarboMet will facilitate engagement between key players and stakeholders to ensure full engagement of the glycoscience community across Europe to identify the current state of the art and in particular future innovation and technological challenges in carbohydrate metrology.
1. Establish a European Glycoscience User Group (EU-GUG)
2. Identify Common Scientific and Technical Challenges
3. Establish a Common Vision, Roadmap for 2030 and an Associated Implementation Plan
4. Through Knowledge Exchange Activities Facilitate the Formation of a Cross- Sectorial Glycoscience Metrology Platform
5. Establish Parallel Initiatives to Address Key Glycoscience Challenges
These objectives will be achieved by groups within the CSA working in parallel on 3 Enabling Technology Areas (ETAs) :
1. Measurements and Analytical
2. Synthesis of Standards
3. Bioinformatics and Databases
In addition, Four BioIndustry Sectors (BISs) have been identified as of immediate interest for CarboMet where the exploitation of carbohydrates will have huge impact :
1. Biopharmaceuticals including vaccines, antimicrobials, antibodies and hormones.
2. Diagnosis of disease at a personal level for the development of precision medicines
3. Healthy lifestyles from good food and personal care, including for healthy ageing
4. Carbohydrates as the sustainable materials for the future